Ricotta or Farmer's Cheese instead of Whey Protein Powder

Old February 26th 04, 02:20 AM
Steve Freides

Default Ricotta or Farmer's Cheese instead of Whey Protein Powder

Has anyone tried using Ricotta or Farmer's Cheese as a protein "supplement"
instead of making shakes with protein powder? The nutritional profile, at
least what it shows on the label, is pretty good - 7 grams of protein, 8
grams of fat, 2 grams of carbohydrates for whatever brand I have in the
refrigerator at the moment. We picked up some organic (or whatever) from
Whole Foods and it tastes even better. I also tried Farmers Cheese because
that's supposed to have an even better profile but it was pretty yucky
tasting, although mixing it into ricotta worked out alright.

I have done absolutely no scientific research on this whatsoever, I am not
suggesting anyone abandon their protein shakes, or anything like that. I'm
just asking if anyone's tried it and if anyone who knows more about complete
vs incomplete proteins and all that stuff has any comments on using ricotta
or farmers cheese instead of whey protein powder as the primary method of
supplementing protein in the diet of a lifter. I've been doing this for
about a week and a half now and am very happy but since I'm not trying to
add muscle I'm not the ideal test case.

Thanks.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old February 26th 04, 02:47 AM
Adam Fahy

Steve Freides wrote:
Has anyone tried using Ricotta or Farmer's Cheese as a protein "supplement"
instead of making shakes with protein powder?

Along these lines, has anyone tried using meats like chicken or beef as
a protein "supplement" instead of making shakes with protein powder? I
was also shocked to see that there was protein in milk of all things.
Has anyone tried using milk as a protein "supplement" instead of making
shakes with protein powder?

-Adam
Old February 26th 04, 02:53 AM
Lyle McDonald

Adam Fahy wrote:

Steve Freides wrote:

Has anyone tried using Ricotta or Farmer's Cheese as a protein
"supplement"
instead of making shakes with protein powder?

Along these lines, has anyone tried using meats like chicken or beef as
a protein "supplement" instead of making shakes with protein powder? I
was also shocked to see that there was protein in milk of all things.
Has anyone tried using milk as a protein "supplement" instead of making
shakes with protein powder?

there's protein in semen.

Lyle
just FYI

Old February 26th 04, 03:00 AM
Proton Soup

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:06:38 -0600, elzinator
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:20:04 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

Steve, did a kettle ball fall on your head?

If he keeps eating all that cheese,
he'll be ****ting a kettle ball soon.

Proton Soup

Old February 26th 04, 03:06 AM
elzinator

[...]

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.
Old February 26th 04, 03:08 AM
Randy Shrader

Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

Since that's over 65% calories from fat, it doesn't strike me as a great
protein source. Lowfat cottage cheese would be better for someone who's not
on a serious bulking program.

Randy
--
"There is no such thing as casual crystal meth use." -- Rufus Wainwright

Old February 26th 04, 03:17 AM
elzinator

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:47:06 GMT, Adam Fahy wrote:
Steve Freides wrote:
Has anyone tried using Ricotta or Farmer's Cheese as a protein "supplement"
instead of making shakes with protein powder?

Along these lines, has anyone tried using meats like chicken or beef as
a protein "supplement" instead of making shakes with protein powder? I
was also shocked to see that there was protein in milk of all things.
Has anyone tried using milk as a protein "supplement" instead of making
shakes with protein powder?

Yeah, I mean it has all those growth hormones and IGF-1 and stuff. I
don't know about the calcium, though. Won't that cause me to bloat?

Old February 26th 04, 03:19 AM
elzinator

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:53:30 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
Adam Fahy wrote:

Steve Freides wrote:

Has anyone tried using Ricotta or Farmer's Cheese as a protein
"supplement"
instead of making shakes with protein powder?

Along these lines, has anyone tried using meats like chicken or beef as
a protein "supplement" instead of making shakes with protein powder? I
was also shocked to see that there was protein in milk of all things.
Has anyone tried using milk as a protein "supplement" instead of making
shakes with protein powder?

there's protein in semen.

Lyle
just FYI

If I can get donations, I could run a semen shake study. With all that
testosterone it? Whaoh!

Old February 26th 04, 04:15 AM
Lee Michaels

"elzinator" wrote

Steve, did a kettle ball fall on your head?

That would certainly explain some things.