USA Swimming Bans Full Length Suits for 14 and Under

Old November 12th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
PatTX[_2_]

Default USA Swimming Bans Full Length Suits for 14 and Under

:::::
::::: But he thought there was something remarkable about seeing a
::::: "weener" under a speedo. Isn't that learned?
:::
::: Well, if it is, he didn't learn it from me. I don't recall the word
::: "weener" being a part of my vocabulary. He probably got it from
::: another boy.
:::
::: Pat in TX
::
:: I wasn't asking about the word.

Well, what on earth were you asking about, then?

On a related topic, did you see that TIME magazine, Nov 10 issue, page 84
air-brushed Michael Phelps' genitals right out of the picture? Poor guy. Is
the world so old-maidish that we are to be spared the sight of a bulge in
the Speedo LZR Racer suit?

Pat in TX

Old November 12th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
PatTX[_2_]

:::::::: But he thought there was something remarkable about seeing a
:::::::: "weener" under a speedo. Isn't that learned?
::::::
:::::: Well, if it is, he didn't learn it from me. I don't recall the
:::::: word "weener" being a part of my vocabulary. He probably got it
:::::: from another boy.
::::::
:::::: Pat in TX
:::::
::::: I wasn't asking about the word.
:::
::: Well, what on earth were you asking about, then?
::
:: His attitude. His apparent shame.

Jeez, I don't know where you got the idea that he was shamed. A five year
old boy is inquisitive and just blurts out things. This is the boy that
would go answer the doorbell nude....

Pat in TX

Old November 13th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
PatTX[_2_]

MW Smith wrote:
:: On Nov 12, 10:26 pm, "PatTX" wrote:
::::::::::: But he thought there was something remarkable about seeing a
::::::::::: "weener" under a speedo. Isn't that learned?
:::::::::
::::::::: Well, if it is, he didn't learn it from me. I don't recall the
::::::::: word "weener" being a part of my vocabulary. He probably got
::::::::: it from another boy.
:::::::::
::::::::: Pat in TX
::::::::
:::::::: I wasn't asking about the word.
::::::
:::::: Well, what on earth were you asking about, then?
:::::
::::: His attitude. His apparent shame.
:::
::: Jeez, I don't know where you got the idea that he was shamed. A
::: five year old boy is inquisitive and just blurts out things. This
::: is the boy that would go answer the doorbell nude....
::
:: I got the idea from you:
::
::: No little boy would dare wear one. I still remember taking
::: my son to swim lessons at age 5. The instructor was wearing
::: a Speedo. My little boy pointed at him and in his loudest voice,
::: yelled, "I can see his weener!"
::
::: No way they'd wear that suit!

And what, exactly in there has anything to do with "shame"? Nothing, that's
what. You are putting it in, yourself. Maybe you should examine why YOU did
that.

Pat in TX

Old November 13th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
PatTX[_2_]

::
:: If I have misunderstood you, what did you mean? Since little boys
:: around the world do dare wear them, when you say "No little boy would
:: dare wear one" and "No way they'd wear that suit!," what do you mean?
:: Why do *you* say little boys won't wear these suits?

You sure did misunderstood me, and it made me think of those back-and-forth
posts you and Micheal had when he was unsure if he should wear a Speedo in
front of his junior high boys group. It makes me think you are "reading
between the lines" for something a bit prurient when none is intended. If
so, you need to examine your motives, there.

I wrote that a 12 year old friend of my son dropped out of swim team when he
was told he'd have to wear a Speedo. Boys of that age have a phrase they use
to describe Speedos and it has to do with their private areas being exposed
to others' comparative gaze than to any "shame" real or implied. This is at
a time when their bodies are changing and they don't want to call attention
to that. Well, except for the guys who try manfully to sport a mustache when
it just looks like they didn't wash their faces that morning. As for these
LZR suits, I don't think an adolescent male would gladly wear them,
especially where they would be seen by hundreds of people.

Pat in TX

Old November 13th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
PatTX[_2_]

Martin, it's not about shame. You keep trying to push that on me, but it's
nothing to do with what I was saying. I was telling you that adolescent
youth do not want people to compare the size of their genitals with other
boys genitals. That is not shame. Those boys aren't shamed of their gender.
They just don't want to be compared solely on genital size. So, give it a
break. Somehow, I think you have internalized this "shame" stuff. Is it a
childhood problem you had? Are you shamed of yourself now? Are you ashamed
of your genitals? I don't get it, but there is definitely something in your
psyche that keeps coming back to "shame" when it is associated with Speedos.

The organization was saying they were saving the parents' money, but I am
saying there is also this reluctance of adolescents (and that is what 14
year olds are) to have the outline of their genitals on view. Evidently you
do not have children. You do not have a clue in this department, that is
obvious.

I am done with it now. If you are ashamed of your genitals, so be it. Don't
go and try to force that on other people.

Pat in TX

Old November 14th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
[email protected]

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:12:32 -0800 (PST), MW Smith
wrote:

ironic then that USA Swimming felt compelled to ban the suits for boys
under 14. Why would they ban suits that, according to you, no boy
would wear?

Just a reminder of something that may have been lost while reviving
this old thread. The subject line is wrong--the USA Swimming band is
for 12 and under.

Old November 14th 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Duncan Heenan

"PatTX" wrote in message
Martin, it's not about shame. You keep trying to push that on me, but it's
nothing to do with what I was saying. I was telling you that adolescent
youth do not want people to compare the size of their genitals with other
boys genitals.

Thigs must have changed a lot since I was an adolescent boy then. We just
didn't care, and all showered together anyway. I think you're being over
sensitive by proxy Pat.
--
Duncan Heenan