US college vs age group swimming results

Old November 18th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Mike Sullivan

Default US college vs age group swimming results

Age group swimming is collected in a database that can be
referenced at www.swimmingtimes.com

College swimming results are posted on individual
websites as html or pdf files. They are aggregated on
the www.collegeswimming.com site.

Why is it that college swimming times are not collected
into a database?

I haven't looked for it, but is there a database of times
for elite athletes?

This is one thing swimming has such a superiority over,
that is: accurate and well documented times and judging.

Old November 18th 08, 09:35 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Mike Sullivan

"MW Smith" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 7:13 am, "Mike Sullivan"
wrote:

Why is it that college swimming times are not collected
into a database?

Because college swimming is in yards, so it would be of little value.

huh? Age group are mostly yards, don't hit meters until mid summer
and only the top end kids.

How does the touchpad systems care? They all use the same
basic swimming pool timing systems and software
that collects the raw data and aggregates the splits and results.
Age group dumps it into a database and pdfs, college into pdfs.

why?

Old November 18th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Mike Sullivan

"MW Smith" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 9:35 am, "Mike Sullivan"
wrote:
"MW Smith" wrote in message

On Nov 18, 7:13 am, "Mike Sullivan"
wrote:

snip

Because college swimming is mostly yards, and nobody cares.

/eye roll

Old November 18th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Mike Sullivan

"MW Smith" wrote in message

wrote:

snip

Because college swimming is mostly yards, and nobody cares.

/eye roll

It's just that, I've swum in a lot of places around the world, and not
once have I heard another swimmer talk about college swimming times.

Well, the heading of the thread had "US colleges" in it, so I'm
certainly well aware of the international nature of this and every usenet
forum.

further, I think the only non-US swimmers that get into the
www.swimmingtimes.com database I referenced are ones that swim
in meets here in the US. Most of it is in yards, not meters, since
it's seemingly a US only database.

Is there another one that gets everybody somewhere?

How about Australia? Is there a Oz website that tracks athletes' times
from age group through elite?

In the meantime, I'll have to ask a couple coaches when I see them
why they don't submit their meet results to the existing database. It
seems
easy enough to do. With some hunting, I found that some college
meets do get results submitted, some of the large invitationals and a
scattering
of NCAA championships. A great bulk of the college meet results get
submitted
to their own websites, as well as to www.collegeswimming.com .

Sectional HS championships across the US use same technology, they
tend to get buried in nowhere-land.

Old November 19th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
[email protected]

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:35:52 -0800, "Mike Sullivan"
wrote:

huh? Age group are mostly yards, don't hit meters until mid summer
and only the top end kids.

HUH?? In Texas (and I'd assume most states), we have a full long
course (meters) season with swimmers of all ages and abilities.

USA Swimming maintains the SWIMS database for all results (including
elites). I don't know what their affiliation is with the
Swimmingtimes website.

One of the guys I officiate with does some college meets and has a
daughter who swims for Boise State. If there is a repository of
college times somewhere, I suspect he would know. I'll follow-up on
that one.

I agree with your comment about judging as long as you don't include
the Olympics. I'll leave it at that because I'm not ready for another
round with your current thread adversary--you can have that! :-)

Dave Clary
Corpus Christi, TX
Old November 19th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Mike Sullivan

wrote:

huh? Age group are mostly yards, don't hit meters until mid summer
and only the top end kids.

HUH?? In Texas (and I'd assume most states), we have a full long
course (meters) season with swimmers of all ages and abilities.

Well, I'm from Cali, the vast bulk of age group meets and all HS/college
is yards. Yes there are many meets in LC meters, but qualify
to get in.

USA Swimming maintains the SWIMS database for all results (including
elites). I don't know what their affiliation is with the
Swimmingtimes website.

I checked it out, thanks for the note. I don't know the linkage
to swimmingtimes, but I looked up on the usa swimming site
and looked at some swimmers I know, basically the same info
exists both places. swimmingtimes is a much better site for looking at
the info, sorting, etc, , but looks like the same data.

It had an NCAA component, but doesn't look like it's being used
as I cannot find any swimmers, and looks like the search
form is limited to current and just previous year. There's
certainly a repository for that stuff, but I don't see evidence
in my brief review of much use

One of the guys I officiate with does some college meets and has a
daughter who swims for Boise State. If there is a repository of
college times somewhere, I suspect he would know. I'll follow-up on
that one.

Thanks. I will be having a beer with a former US Swimming BOD
tonight, I suspect he'll have a few ideas. I guess the conspiracy
theory part of me suggests that college coaches may not want to have a
database out there for all to see their athletes's times, and progress over
the years. Seems to be no trouble with the age groupers.

Having been a collegiate coach several years (another sport) I
know how goofy college coaches can be(incl me).

I agree with your comment about judging as long as you don't include
the Olympics. I'll leave it at that because I'm not ready for another
round with your current thread adversary--you can have that! :-)

no biggie.

Old December 9th 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
rtym

Default Anybody at Bakersfield masters team?

like to connect with local masters swimmers.

robert

thanks