Swim workouts for distance/endurance--good place?

Old November 29th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides[_2_]

Default Swim workouts for distance/endurance--good place?

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi

I swim 3x a week- just do freestyle- for fitness. Have been swimming
for past 6 years..

I do not participate in competitions i.e. races etc.. However, I would
like to increase my endurance-- I am looking for a place where I can
find workouts that implement interval training. Can someone point me
to a place where I can get these types of workouts? THANKS!

Google

swim workouts

and you'll find a ton of them. Most involve the other strokes as well
as front crawl, however, which is a good idea if you swim a lot - less
likelihood of developing overuse injuries, IMHO.

The most common format I have seen in swim workouts is "xx repeats of
yyy yards on the zzz time", e.g., 4 x 100 on the 1:30. That means you
swim 100 yards, you rest until 1:30 total time has passed since you
started this 100, and then you do it again. So, if you swim 1000 yards
non-stop, you might try swimming faster and breaking your workout into
10 x 100 yards with brief rest periods between. Such a format should
help you develop a more efficient stroke and eventually lead you to be
able to swim 1000 non-stop faster.

That is but one of the myriad of possibilities.

-S-

Old December 2nd 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides[_2_]

"MW Smith" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 5:14 pm, KOS wrote:
On Nov 29, 8:55 pm, airygirl52 wrote:

On Nov 29, 5:55 pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:

"KOS" wrote in message

Hi

I swim 3x a week- just do freestyle- for fitness. Have been
swimming
for past 6 years..

I do not participate in competitions i.e. races etc.. However,
I would
like to increase my endurance-- I am looking for a place where
I can
find workouts that implement interval training. Can someone
point me
to a place where I can get these types of workouts? THANKS!

I swim alot too, (just for fitness- no competitions) I just Do
freestyle, but i break it down into arms, legs and combined. I do
alot of the training drills, like fists, and one arm....

If you want to build endurance, try doing a pyramid:
do 50, 10 sec rest
100, 10 sec rest
150, 10 sec rest
200, 20 sec rest
do as much as you wanna do, then work the pyramid back down to the
50
and then do:
4X 25 sprint, its a great workout no matter how much you do and if
you
want too, you can use fins, which add more resistance, but also
make
you go alot faster. I also suggest using pull buoys to strengthen
your arms. Kickboard for legs. If you do a few smaller pyramids,
one
just arm, one just legs, and one combined, you get an excellent
workout that also counts as strength training and resistance. Good
luck with your swimming! and keep up the good work!

PS. If you want to have a set workout, try using an index card and
writing down what you want your workout to be. The put it in a
ziploc
baggie, an you can put it at one end of your lap lane for
reference.
Thats what i do, when i dont feel like counting each and every lap.

thanks for your input, everybody. I think I will do the pyramid you
suggested- I kind of started something somewhat similar but I like
your suggestion better. I also do pool buyoys and fist drills. Thanks
again

You might like using a pull buoy.

And/or paddles, too.

-S-

good place for an open water swim N. McLemore Triathalon 1 July 26th 13 12:14 PM
Swim In Place Home Made? Duncan Heenan Swimming 0 May 31st 08 06:00 PM
boston endurance swim rick++ Running 1 April 16th 07 07:57 PM
Looking for a place to swim Lewis Angel Swimming 9 October 27th 06 01:28 AM
Nice place within reasonable distance from Cambridge Gert Sclep Walking in the UK 10 June 16th 04 09:57 AM