Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

Old December 16th 04, 12:41 AM
spongebob

"Adrian Tupper" wrote

Actually I find some of the pronounciation guides rather pompous.
Take Cairn Gorm. Easy enough, yes? Not according to some

publications
thattell you to pronounce the second word "Gorrum". Ignore them.
The Scots pronounciation of all words ending -rm is -rrum. The

English
pronounciation is acceptable to an English accent.

Yes, I was thinking how a Yorkshireman would tell someone he was going
to Paris. Eh up love, Ah'm just of t' Pareee fer't weekend!

Graham

Old December 16th 04, 11:44 AM
RJ Webb

Yes, I was thinking how a Yorkshireman would tell someone he was going
to Paris. Eh up love, Ah'm just of t' Pareee fer't weekend!

Only common English versions exist for very few Highland Hills....
(Cairngorm , Ben Nevis etc) Likewise common English versions exist for
only a few French towns, so if you are to invent new ones, in either
case, some sensitivity and taste please......

No Loony bins,or cheesecakes OK!

Save them for Trail.

Richard Webb
Old December 16th 04, 03:53 PM
Phil Cook

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:44:01 GMT, RJ Webb wrote:

Only common English versions exist for very few Highland Hills....
(Cairngorm , Ben Nevis etc) so if you are to invent new ones, some sensitivity and taste please......

No Loony bins,or cheesecakes OK!

Is that another name for Chrysanthemum, the hill otherwise known as
Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan? Best translated as the beak of the quarters -
from the four corries presumably, except there are five of them.

Old December 16th 04, 05:19 PM
Tony Buckley

Phil Cook wrote
Is that another name for Chrysanthemum, the hill otherwise known as
Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan?

I think this is pronounced 'Kerranan', or at least that's how I pronounce
it. It has transmogrified in my mind into 'Kerrang', the peak of the
leather-clad hairy axe-crasher.

T.

Old December 16th 04, 07:43 PM
druidh

"Tony Buckley" wrote in message
Phil Cook wrote
Is that another name for Chrysanthemum, the hill otherwise known as
Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan?

I think this is pronounced 'Kerranan', or at least that's how I pronounce
it. It has transmogrified in my mind into 'Kerrang', the peak of the
leather-clad hairy axe-crasher.

Close - it's kay-her-an-an

druidh

Old December 16th 04, 07:47 PM
druidh

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:44:01 GMT, RJ Webb wrote:

Only common English versions exist for very few Highland Hills....
(Cairngorm , Ben Nevis etc) so if you are to invent new ones, some
sensitivity and taste please......

No Loony bins,or cheesecakes OK!

Is that another name for Chrysanthemum, the hill otherwise known as
Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan? Best translated as the beak of the quarters -
from the four corries presumably, except there are five of them.

Cheesecake is Bidean a'Choire Sheasgaich - near Lurg Mhor

and where did you get Sgurr to be translated into beak :-))

druidh

Old December 17th 04, 02:11 AM
Phil Cook

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:47:02 GMT, druidh wrote:

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:44:01 GMT, RJ Webb wrote:

No Loony bins,or cheesecakes OK!

Is that another name for Chrysanthemum

Cheesecake is Bidean a'Choire Sheasgaich - near Lurg Mhor

Doh! Of course.

and where did you get Sgurr to be translated into beak :-))

I haven't the faintest idea. It's not like p and b are near each other
on the kb and I haven't touched a drop for all of two days...
Old December 17th 04, 10:46 AM
RJ Webb

and where did you get Sgurr to be translated into beak :-))

I haven't the faintest idea. It's not like p and b are near each other
on the kb and I haven't touched a drop for all of two days...

Subconcious soft mutation..... Been studying Welsh at any time in
your life/Welsh speaking relatives?

Richard Webb
Old December 17th 04, 11:27 AM
Chris Gilbert

Sandy Birrell wrote:

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I remember an interview

with
Sorley Maclean, the Gaelic poet, and in it he was asked how various

place
names should be pronounced, Liathach was one of them. If I remember

right he
said it depended on where the gaelic speaker came from but the

general
pronounciation and that used by the locals was Lia Gach, the 'g'

being a
sort of stop of the tounge on the back of the pallet like a soft 'c'

as in
loch.

Sorley was the standard reference for pronunciation on The Munro Show,
which is where you probably saw it. He did indeed say it should be
pronounced as you say but he also said that it was something of an
anomoly.

Chris