Recommendation for a good swim team in MA

Old November 16th 05, 04:22 PM

Default Recommendation for a good swim team in MA

Hello,

I am looking for a good swim team for 10U boys in MA. He has been
competing for 2 years and I feel that he is ready to advance to a more
competitive team.

Thanks
Mike

Old November 17th 05, 01:35 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am looking for a good swim team for 10U boys in MA. He has been
competing for 2 years and I feel that he is ready to advance to a more
competitive team.

Thanks
Mike

Check out New England Swimming's website (http://www.neswim.com) which is
the LSC covering MA. You can get access to the club's websites and also LSC
Championship results which should point towards the most successful programs
and help you narrow it down.

Steve

Old November 17th 05, 01:05 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"diablo" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am looking for a good swim team for 10U boys in MA. He has been
competing for 2 years and I feel that he is ready to advance to a more
competitive team.

Thanks
Mike

Check out New England Swimming's website (http://www.neswim.com) which is
the LSC covering MA. You can get access to the club's websites and also

LSC
Championship results which should point towards the most successful

programs
and help you narrow it down.

Point results at championship meets reflect mainly not the quality of the
program but the size of the club. Going to a large club because it is a
large club is (especially for a 10-year-old ) an unreliable way of finding
the best program for the swimmer.

Old November 17th 05, 03:16 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"jtaylor" wrote in message
t.ca...

"diablo" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

The OP asked for a more competitive program.

In any case, I think you're making assumptions. The size of the club is
often times a reflection of many things. There may be many kids in the
program, but at the same time they can offer better facilities, better
services, and usually professionally staffed and more organized. Personaly,
I'd rather have my kid start swimming with a team that has a tradition of
competitive excellence, with full-time coaches directing the coaching in a
good facility. I doubt they'd be choosing a team based on high point
standings, but at the very least it shows which teams actually get their
kids to that level.

Steve

Old November 17th 05, 04:12 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"diablo" wrote in message

The size of the club is
often times a reflection of many things. There may be many kids in the
program, but at the same time they can offer better facilities, better
services, and usually professionally staffed and more organized.

Yes they can, but so can small clubs.

I'd be interested to see numbers that say a large club has a better program
because it is large; and point scores at meets don't do that.

Old November 17th 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"jtaylor" wrote in message
t.ca...

"diablo" wrote in message

The size of the club is
often times a reflection of many things. There may be many kids in the
program, but at the same time they can offer better facilities, better
services, and usually professionally staffed and more organized.

Yes they can, but so can small clubs.

I'd be interested to see numbers that say a large club has a better
program
because it is large; and point scores at meets don't do that.

I agree with the crux of what you're trying to say, I've known many great
programs that were small. However, what 'numbers' are you talking about?
Certainly at Age Group levels, High Point doesn't mean anything..mostly its
just natural talent...however at Senior level, those scores also reflect
depth and the ability of the club to retain numbers of swimmers. A club that
can recruit, develop and retain swimmers is a good club...naturally, a large
club with more resources has a better shot at doing this than a smaller
program, all other things being equal.

Old November 17th 05, 05:38 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"diablo" pondered, puzzeled, prognosticated (perhaps
even premeditated), and then, in a very wise voice, sed: :

A club that can recruit...

snip

A naughty word. But one that often represents why a large club is as
large as it is and has the depth at the senior level that it does.

--
chris

"Nothing is real."
Old November 17th 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"chris" wrote in message
"diablo" pondered, puzzeled, prognosticated (perhaps
even premeditated), and then, in a very wise voice, sed: :

A club that can recruit...

snip

A naughty word. But one that often represents why a large club is as
large as it is and has the depth at the senior level that it does.

--
chris

"Nothing is real."

uhm...you snipped too early, thereby robbing the statement of its proper
context:

"A club that can recruit, develop and retain swimmers is a good club"
referring to the sequential process of recruiting young kids at the
learn-to-swim/novice level, developing them at age group level and retaining
them at the senior level.

Old November 17th 05, 07:21 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"diablo" pondered, puzzeled, prognosticated (perhaps
even premeditated), and then, in a very wise voice, sed: :
uhm...you snipped too early, thereby robbing the statement of its proper
context:

"A club that can recruit, develop and retain swimmers is a good club"
referring to the sequential process of recruiting young kids at the
learn-to-swim/novice level, developing them at age group level and retaining
them at the senior level.

diablo, i am not in any way trying to imply, by my snip, that you were
suggesting that that is the way *your* team operates, or that you were
advising that recruiting is the way to build a big team. However, i
stand by my snip.

While your team may be large because you only "recruit" at the
learn-to-swim/novice level, you can not deny that there is a certain
segment of the "big team' population that gains its competitiveness
and depth at the senior level at the expense of the smaller teams in
their market.

i snipped your statement of context purposely. Not to accuse *you* of
anything, but merely because you used the "R" word, which led directly
to my point.

Sorry if you took offense.
--
chris

"Nothing is real."
Old November 17th 05, 07:37 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"chris" wrote in message
"diablo" pondered, puzzeled, prognosticated (perhaps
even premeditated), and then, in a very wise voice, sed: :

A club that can recruit...

snip

A naughty word. But one that often represents why a large club is as
large as it is and has the depth at the senior level that it does.

Many large clubs do exactly that - they feed on the small clubs. They have
a program that selects rather than develops, one which emphasises distance
and brutal training in large groups rather than skills and individual
attention. Such clubs have a greater droupout rate that small ones and so
they need to recruit swimmers at the middle and upper levels of skill
development.

Often you will find a "hard man" running the top levels; it is true that any
swimmer who can survive such a program is likely to be fast, and such a
program will score well at the bigger meets (if there is enough raw meat
coming in at the bottom end). The shame is that you get a lot of kids
ground into hamburger for the coach who feeds his ego with nothing but
sirloin.