A Fitness & exercise forum. FitnessBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FitnessBanter.com forum » Fitness & Exercise » Swimming
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best way to burn calories



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 18th 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
George
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Best way to burn calories

On 11/08/11 12:38 p, Duncan Heenan wrote:
I disagree. Swimming is non weight bearing. test show that running burns
many more calories per minnute than swimming. This is also bourne out by
the fact that some very good swimmers (sepecially marathon swimmers) are
quite fat.


I agree about running over swimming (assuming that your frame can take
the punishment) but how do you define "quite fat"?


  #2  
Old August 18th 11, 08:10 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Duncan Heenan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 372
Default Best way to burn calories

"George" wrote in message
...
On 11/08/11 12:38 p, Duncan Heenan wrote:
I disagree. Swimming is non weight bearing. test show that running burns
many more calories per minnute than swimming. This is also bourne out by
the fact that some very good swimmers (sepecially marathon swimmers) are
quite fat.


I agree about running over swimming (assuming that your frame can take the
punishment) but how do you define "quite fat"?

BMI 28

  #3  
Old August 19th 11, 09:55 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Fredrik Jonson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Best way to burn calories

In Duncan Heenan wrote:
"George" wrote:
On 11/08/11 12:38 p, Duncan Heenan wrote:
I disagree. Swimming is non weight bearing. test show that running burns
many more calories per minnute than swimming. This is also bourne out by
the fact that some very good swimmers (sepecially marathon swimmers) are
quite fat.


I agree about running over swimming (assuming that your frame can take the
punishment) but how do you define "quite fat"?


BMI 28


It is well known that BMI isn't very well suited as a obeseness indicator for
athletes, as muscles has a higher density than body fat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_ma...d_shortcomings

Also, people that are overweight or obese might have a hard time with running
due to the stress a heavy body puts on joints when running. Swimming, bicykling,
or skiing is likely less straining for untrained joints and muscles.

Not that running is bad for you, not at all. I'm just saying there are other
aspects than only number of watts expended involved in choosing your exercise
regime when trying to lose weight.

--
Fredrik Jonson
  #4  
Old August 19th 11, 10:10 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Duncan Heenan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 372
Default Best way to burn calories

I agree that BMI is an ambiguous measure for obesity, but it is still the
mostly widely used one in the medical world, and I was asked what
constitutes 'quite fat'. I still think swimming is not good for weight loss,
even though it is very good for cardio vascular fitness and subtleness. Look
at any leisure pool and look at the regular users. I think you'll find there
are quite a lot of fatties there, even though they may be reasonably fit.

--
Duncan Heenan
"Fredrik Jonson" wrote in message
...
In Duncan Heenan wrote:
"George" wrote:
On 11/08/11 12:38 p, Duncan Heenan wrote:
I disagree. Swimming is non weight bearing. test show that running
burns
many more calories per minnute than swimming. This is also bourne out
by
the fact that some very good swimmers (sepecially marathon swimmers)
are
quite fat.

I agree about running over swimming (assuming that your frame can take
the
punishment) but how do you define "quite fat"?


BMI 28


It is well known that BMI isn't very well suited as a obeseness indicator
for
athletes, as muscles has a higher density than body fat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_ma...d_shortcomings

Also, people that are overweight or obese might have a hard time with
running
due to the stress a heavy body puts on joints when running. Swimming,
bicykling,
or skiing is likely less straining for untrained joints and muscles.

Not that running is bad for you, not at all. I'm just saying there are
other
aspects than only number of watts expended involved in choosing your
exercise
regime when trying to lose weight.

--
Fredrik Jonson


  #5  
Old August 20th 11, 12:50 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
betsy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Best way to burn calories

On 8/19/2011 2:10 AM, Duncan Heenan wrote:
subtleness. Look at any leisure pool and look at the regular users. I
think you'll find there are quite a lot of fatties there, even though
they may be reasonably fit.

Many of the regular users at one of the pools I go to are there because
they are obese and/or have injuries and can't do other forms of exercise.

While being overweight doesn't improve swimming speed, extra fat isn't
as much of a disadvantage to a swimmer as it is to a runner. Overweight
athletes may naturally choose swimming over running. There may be less
motivation for a swimmer to limit calories, since the fat doesn't limit
performance in an extreme way.

--Betsy
  #6  
Old August 23rd 11, 11:56 AM
Kallis21 Kallis21 is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Default

Running is the best exercises because it helps you burn the calories.
Just in 30 minutes a person can easily burn 300 calories.
Walking, Sprinting and adding hills or an incline can burn 180 calories in 30 minutes. Bicycling and Swimming of 30 minutes can burn 400 to 500 calories.
__________________
Kallis21
  #7  
Old October 22nd 12, 07:29 AM
fredbenny12 fredbenny12 is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Through walking, jogging, and swimming, you can burn your excess calories and you can remain fit and fine. This is quite beneficial and you can enjoy the best.
__________________
Australia Escort Agencies
  #8  
Old September 9th 11, 08:20 PM
Thomass Thomass is offline
Banned
 
First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
On 11/08/11 12:38 p, Duncan Heenan wrote:
I disagree. Swimming is non weight bearing. test show that running burns
many more calories per minnute than swimming. This is also bourne out by
the fact that some very good swimmers (sepecially marathon swimmers) are
quite fat.


I agree about running over swimming (assuming that your frame can take
the punishment) but how do you define "quite fat"?
Cardio exercises are good to lose the weight and burn the calories of the body. as you mentioned that swimming same like this running and cycling is also good to burn the calories and fat.

irvine boot camp

Last edited by Thomass : September 10th 11 at 05:57 PM.
  #9  
Old November 16th 11, 05:43 PM
klacc klacc is offline
Banned
 
First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Oct 2011
Posts: 23
Default

While I agree running will burn more calories, swimming is more enjoyable for me. I am a lot more likely to swim than I am to go running.
  #10  
Old June 12th 13, 02:11 PM
Helas Helas is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Default

According to me running is better than swimming but if you swim It's mean you have also tone your body with burning calories. So That was the big reason that people prefer to do swimming.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calories burn pound of fat Existential Angst[_2_] Weights 8 August 5th 11 01:06 PM
Calories burn pound of fat David Weights 0 April 21st 11 12:45 PM
Isometric calorie burn vs. weight lifting cal burn Proctologically Violated©® General 0 October 27th 06 11:42 PM
How many calories does _____ burn? Spammers_Should_Be_Shot Weights 0 July 1st 04 09:09 PM
Swim Slower and Burn More Calories 4precious Swimming 34 September 19th 03 06:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 FitnessBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.