OT Walking Hat

Old July 11th 16, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_4_]

Default OT Walking Hat

On 10/07/2016 20:14, TheChief wrote:
Ok so I'm thinking that bird watchers do a bit of walking about
and might advise on the suitability of head gear!

I am in the market for a hat to replace an aging flat cap. I was
considering a hat with a decent brim all round to provide shelter
from both sun and rain. However I am concerned that it will
become a problem in strong winds, either from a point of view of
blowing away or, if tethered, from the likelihood of removing
ones head IYSWIM.

Are these things totally impractical for walking or do they lend
themselves quite well?
If they are worth considering, any links from personal recommendation?
I am not so taken with the floppy style and prefer a more rigid brim.

Answered elsewhere...

Tilley hat.

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Old July 11th 16, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Peter Clinch

On 11/07/2016 09:52, Gordon H wrote:
On 10/07/2016 20:14, TheChief wrote:
Ok so I'm thinking that bird watchers do a bit of walking about
and might advise on the suitability of head gear!

I am in the market for a hat to replace an aging flat cap. I was
considering a hat with a decent brim all round to provide shelter
from both sun and rain. However I am concerned that it will
become a problem in strong winds, either from a point of view of
blowing away or, if tethered, from the likelihood of removing
ones head IYSWIM.

Are these things totally impractical for walking or do they lend
themselves quite well?
If they are worth considering, any links from personal recommendation?
I am not so taken with the floppy style and prefer a more rigid brim.

Answered elsewhere...

Tilley hat.

Or similar: I have an "Ultimate" that's a similar sort of thing, also in
Cotton Duck, and it does indeed keep off sun and rain very well. It's
done quite a few Epics over the course of the last 20 years and shows no
signs of needing replacement.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
NHS Tayside & Univ. of Dundee Ninewells Hospital & Med. School

Walking Alan Dicey Walking in the UK 0 September 12th 09 12:24 AM
New to walking terrys Walking in the UK 26 August 15th 09 08:45 PM
uk.rec.walking down the pan Moggycat Walking in the UK 8 February 14th 04 07:44 PM
Walking Sticks From the Crooked Mile Walking Companions John Walking 0 January 4th 04 01:07 PM
GPS for Car & Walking Anthony Walking in the UK 1 September 28th 03 08:44 AM