Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

Old July 31st 03, 03:46 AM
Dave & Denise Kother

Default Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling
shorts, especially for long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know
you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some
comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post
it or email me directly.

Old July 31st 03, 04:37 AM
Dashi Toshii

"Dave & Denise Kother" wrote in message
I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling
shorts, especially for long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I

know
you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some
comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please

post
it or email me directly.

Any 100% cotton shorts will do, preferably, cut off Levis.

Dashii

Old July 31st 03, 04:40 AM
richard

Unfortunately, shorts are like saddles. There IS no one "most
comfortable" pair. Personally, I do best on one with a thin "chamois",
like the Trek Criterium. The ones with the pads, even the shaped ones,
tend to bunch up and chafe me. I had a buddy who forgot his shorts on an
"event ride" and ended up with some high-end Nike's with a relatively thick
shaped pad. It rained, and he said it was like sitting on a wet diaper.

"Dave & Denise Kother" wrote in
:

Old July 31st 03, 05:00 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Dave & Denise Kother" wrote in message
I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling
shorts, especially for long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I

know
you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some
comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please

post
it or email me directly.

It matters little which shorts you buy.

The most important thing is the underwear. After all that's what is between
your skin and the lycra.

Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers
though, so clearly one size does not fit all.

My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one gives
you the least amount of saddle sores is the best.

good luck!

Old July 31st 03, 05:41 AM
Boyd Speerschneider

"Dashi Toshii" wrote in :

"Dave & Denise Kother" wrote in message
I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling
shorts, especially for long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I

know
you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some
comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please

post
it or email me directly.

Any 100% cotton shorts will do, preferably, cut off Levis.

Dashii

I prefer cut off corduroys myself.
I like that "zip zip..." sound it makes when they rub against the saddle and top tube.
I'm pretty sure these are what Lance uses also, so you've *got* to use them.

- Boyd S.
Old July 31st 03, 05:45 AM
Boyd Speerschneider

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in :

"Dave & Denise Kother" wrote in message
I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling
shorts, especially for long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
know you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some
comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please
post it or email me directly.

It matters little which shorts you buy.
The most important thing is the underwear. After all that's what is between
your skin and the lycra.

Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers
though, so clearly one size does not fit all.
My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one gives
you the least amount of saddle sores is the best.
good luck!

I've got the inside scoop from a friend of a friend that LANCE prefers boxers under his riding shorts.
So, you *must* use boxers (not just tighty whities).

Hope this helps,

- Boyd S.

Old July 31st 03, 07:05 AM
Precious Pup

Dave & Denise Kother wrote:

I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling
shorts, especially for long rides.

Dunno, but cheap stuff works pretty well for me, like on-sale stuff from Performance. So I usually pay
between $15 to $30 for shorts. So I would try "cheap" and if it doesn't work, try to think of why and then
visit your LBS to try on whatever seems like it might be better.

What does Lance Armstrong wear?

Who cares?

I know you will go numb
on long rides no matter what, ...

You might, but I don't. If this is so, then maybe you need to also consider you saddle. Again, all will
likely say "it is personal perference," and maybe that is so. I have a theory about it.

You need the weight pressure to be resting on the sit bones (ischeal tuberosities). You don't want too much
padding because too much will cause you to "sink down" such that some of the pressure is on the soft tissue.
(Of course, you don't want to rest all that weight on soft tissue.) So I believe a saddle should *not* have a
lot of padding, and it should be somewhat flat and wide -- especially towards the back -- enough such that you
can tell you are "on the sit bones."

Contrary to popular opinion, racing saddles are not necessarily uncomfortable despite their cut down, low
padded look. For myself, I've found the Flite SLR to be the best so far for me (the regular Flite was the
best I'd tried before the SLR). Note its "wide and flat" low padded surface. There is no substitute for a
proper saddle -- take a good look at many of them and see what the LBS might be able to do for you. I'm
willing to try cheap there, but so far that tact has proven unsuccessful for saddles.

For those not wont to riding, soreness around the sit-bone tissue will occur initially for a properly fitted
saddle and shorts. But this tissue can be toughened in the same way the finger tips of a guitarist get
toughened from playing. There is no problem with that and the soreness should shortly subside (a week or so).

Old July 31st 03, 10:45 AM
Andrew Swan

Dave & Denise Kother wrote:
I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling
shorts, especially for long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know
you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some
comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post
it or email me directly.

Some of the other posters are having some fun with you. Presumably they
get a kick out of giving dodgy advice to someone who might not know any
better. I wonder if they do this in real life, or only when protected by
the anonymity of Usenet.

Anyway, don't wear anything under your knicks unless you really do want
the extra chafing to give you saddle sores.

HTH,

&roo

Old July 31st 03, 03:37 PM
Lanny R. Levenson

I remember seeing someone on a charity ride with panty hose under the bike
shorts. Hum!

Lanny
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message . ..

Old July 31st 03, 05:00 PM
warren

In article , Didier A. Depireux
wrote:

In rec.bicycles.rides Dave & Denise Kother wrote:
I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling
shorts, especially for long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know

I doubt your derriere is as tough as Armstrong's! For my part, I have had
great success with the Century Shorts sold by Performance Bicycles.
http://www.performancebike.com
They really are designed for centuries!

Those are decent quality-especially for their price. I get Voler shorts
through our team and they're very good shorts. You can buy Voler shorts
online at their website.

-WG

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 10:32 PM
Compression Shorts? N_A_J Running 5 August 4th 04 02:52 AM
Cycling Cadence and Running Stride Rate Tony Running 47 July 13th 04 08:00 AM
Semi-newbie: working cycling into a routine Matt Shepherd Weights 4 April 1st 04 01:21 PM
Balancing running with cycling James P. Smith Running 17 March 13th 04 12:50 AM