wide/narrow stance & knee pain

Old January 21st 05, 04:22 AM
Kevin J

Default wide/narrow stance & knee pain

Weird observation today. Narrow stance squat hurts my knee less than
wide - but the opposite is true for a deadlift. Why?

--Background - ACL tear 2 years ago (you can google it in this group),
ACL repair 1 year ago (Patella tendon graft).

The thing is, my knee pain is usually around the patella tendon (where
the graft was taken) - how is narrow stance easier on the patella
tendon with a squat?

Pain is different with deadlift, kind of a grinding from a (v. small)
bone chip left in the joint (can see it in an x-ray), ad that pai is
lesseed by the wide stance.

Just curiosity here.

Anyway, I'm still going sooper light on the squat - 155lbs. Deadlift
is just finally back to 3 plates (could do 4 at max, but I weighed
40bs more than now).

Squat is way harder.

Now that I that I've found I can do a narrow stance squat without
stressing the knee like the wide stace, I may (finally) be able to
relearn/retrain the squat - most I ever did there was about 275, I'd
be thrilled to get back to that, but it's gonna take time.

Oh, and don't complain about typos - the and a buttons are't working
very well.

Old January 21st 05, 04:37 AM

other people probably have much better advice than i'll give you, but
with the deadlift, i've read on here that the farther your forearms are
behind your knees when you begin your lift, the more strain it will put
on the knees. I guess that's kind of obvious though. But maybe the
wider stance has your forearms more behind your knees.

Old January 21st 05, 03:19 PM
Hobbes

In article , Kevin J
wrote:

[...]

This is very difficult to analyze. We are dealing with both injury and
some vagueness in terms of technique.

I think how your feet are pointing and how your knees track over your feet
are more relevent than stance. And that can vary in the two lifts. The
wide stance squat may be a matter of your knees tracking poorly, where you
track well in the sumo. Possibly foot position is also relevent.

It would be nice to see some video. Or actually have you demonstrate when
we are in Calgary.
Old January 21st 05, 03:30 PM
elzinator

Hobbes wrote:

This is very difficult to analyze. We are dealing with both injury

and
some vagueness in terms of technique.

I think how your feet are pointing and how your knees track over your

feet
are more relevent than stance. And that can vary in the two lifts.

The
wide stance squat may be a matter of your knees tracking poorly,

where you
track well in the sumo. Possibly foot position is also relevent.

Foot position is highly relevant to the individual's biomechanics and
gait. For example, for a person who is 'duck-footed' (feet point
outwards usually because tibia is rotated), squatting/deadlifting with
toes pointed straight ahead may be very detrimental to the knees.
Unless the patella is significantly off track, trying to alter the
natural alignment of the feet can cause some significant problems. Not
just with knees but up into the hips and low back as well.

Old January 21st 05, 08:12 PM
Hugh Beyer

"elzinator" wrote in news:1106317804.232852.138490
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Hobbes wrote:

[...]

Glad to read that. I'm duckfooted as hell and squat with my feet turned out
quite a lot ( 90 dg). I've always kind of worried about it, but it's what's
comfortable.

Hugh

--
Run like hell and let the clowns deal with the bull.
Old August 22nd 14, 01:19 AM
Elvira18 Elvira18 is offline
Banned

Thank you for*good*communication.

Knee Pain - Bad Doc!? Fraggle Walking in the UK 57 November 16th 05 04:39 PM
Pain behind the knee cap won't go away [email protected] Running 1 January 13th 05 09:11 PM
Outer knee pain sideshowbob Running 3 October 8th 04 05:30 AM
knee pain, a GP replies. John Taverner Walking in the UK 6 April 5th 04 10:46 PM
knee pain FRANKCHMI Running 3 February 7th 04 06:13 PM