Treadmill vs Jogging...Jogging feels much better

Old May 3rd 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.running
Ned

Default Treadmill vs Jogging...Jogging feels much better

I've been using treadmills for years and I've always had problems with
back and knee pain. I recently starting running along the beach and on
the boardwalk and I have no problem at all with my knees or my lower
back. I'm Asthmatic and I've also felt a big improvement in my
breathing since jogging. I suspect there is something unnatural about
using a treadmill vs actually running. Has anyone else had a similar
experience??

thanks!

Old May 3rd 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.running
dimperio

My experience is the exact opposite. I was running 75+ miles a month
on treadmill during the winter months and my body and breathing was
feeling fine. About two months ago a changed to running outdoors. I
have run in three 5K's this year already and try and run a couple
miles every night. The only nights I take off are the days before a
run/race day. I try and run as fast as I can on race days and like to
compete against guys in my own age division (35 - 39). The pavement
has been hell on me this year. My knees are sore and on race days I
find myself beathing hard towards the end of the run. I have other
ache and pains as well but the knees and the muscle right above the
the knee on the inside of my legs seem to be what bothers me the most.
Deep down inside I think I should be taking a couple days off but I
opted for the I must run more miles to get stronger and faster
philosophy. Over the past couple 5K's there are a few runners my age
that are improving their races times by 20 seconds a race. Though I'm
improving as well, they are improving at a faster pace. I will keep at
it till something gives. I have another race next weekend and hope for
a better time.

Old May 3rd 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.running
Elflord

On 2007-05-03, Ned wrote:
I've been using treadmills for years and I've always had problems with
back and knee pain. I recently starting running along the beach and on
the boardwalk and I have no problem at all with my knees or my lower
back.

Beach is much worse, because it's either a banked surface if you're near the
water, or too soft if you're far from it.

I'm Asthmatic and I've also felt a big improvement in my
breathing since jogging. I suspect there is something unnatural about
using a treadmill vs actually running.

No. Using a treadmill is "actually running".

Sometimes a change of scenery helps because it changes the sources of stress
on the body. But do keep in mind that you are comparing the long term effects
of treadmill running with running on the beach for a couple of weeks or so.
If you ran on the beach for the next 3 years, you may well have other injuries
instead.

Maybe there are some differences in the type of training you did in the two
modalities (speed, training frequency, weekly mileage, etc)

Cheers,
--
Elflord
Old May 7th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.running

On May 3, 8:09 am, Alric Knebel ] wrote:
wrote:
On May 2, 9:09 pm, Ned wrote:

I've been using treadmills for years and I've always had problems with
back and knee pain. I recently starting running along the beach and on
the boardwalk and I have no problem at all with my knees or my lower
back. I'm Asthmatic and I've also felt a big improvement in my
breathing since jogging. I suspect there is something unnatural about
using a treadmill vs actually running. Has anyone else had a similar
experience??

thanks!

Imbecile

Learn to write, you imbecile. End sentences, even short ones, with
PERIODS. This is basic stuff.

Alric Knebelhttp://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.htmlhttp://www.ironeyefortress.com

..imbecile Mermaid

Old May 7th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.running

wrote:
On May 2, 9:09 pm, Ned wrote:

I've been using treadmills for years and I've always had problems with
back and knee pain. I recently starting running along the beach and on
the boardwalk and I have no problem at all with my knees or my lower
back. I'm Asthmatic and I've also felt a big improvement in my
breathing since jogging. I suspect there is something unnatural about
using a treadmill vs actually running. Has anyone else had a similar
experience??

thanks!

Imbecile

Learn to write, you imbecile. End sentences, even short ones, with
PERIODS. This is basic stuff.

Alric Knebelhttp://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.htmlhttp://www.ironeyefortress.com

Ariel the spell bitch; I like it. I think I'll keep it,

Old May 7th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.running

On May 3, 2:18 pm, "Todd Tomorrow" wrote:
Hey, give ******boy a break. Your fingers would slip off keys a lot
too if yer keys were coated with jack lotion.

YER right, it is apparently true.