A look at the form and style of good running in slow motion

Old June 10th 04, 05:24 AM
Ozzie Gontang

Default A look at the form and style of good running in slow motion

A look at the form and style of good running in slow motion

On Sunday between 5:30 and 6:30 a.m., I did my usual Sport Psych
visualizing and imaging for the Rock and Roll marathoners in ear shot
of my bullhorn as they waited patiently in the porta-potty lines. I
would do my 3 or 4 minutes and then move on two or three lines over and
start again. Figure I reached a thousand or two.

Then along the course I stationed myself at miles 3, 7 and then at
22.75 (Pacific Highway just past the CHP HQ) Figure I reached another
4 or 5 thousand runners. Great with the bullhorn as it saved my voice
and speaking in a normal relaxing voice I slid in the suggestions of
Relax shoulders, Relax Jaw, Crown of the head up, Toes Relaxed and
other appropriate feedback. This was helpful especially at Mile 22.75
as the furrowed brows, clenched jaws, squinting eyes, clenched fists
were open to relaxing with no effort as the trance state of the runners
were open to any suggestion that relieved the tension.

For the first time, I was able to see the front runners just before
Mile 3. Also I have just bought a Kodak 6490 with a 10X optical Zoom.

Sitting on the median on Park Blvd, I put my camera on movie and was
able to get the front runners in flight.

Check out: http://homepage.mac.com/ozziegontang...eTheater8.html to
see them in slow motion.

All the stuff we've talked about regarding form and style can be
visually observed. Lower the sound first as it is the slo mo sound
of the helicopters overhead.

If you use your forward arrow, you can get a sense of the form. You
also get a realization that even if their leg looks like it is going to
land in front of their center of gravity, on impact, the knee is bent
and the center of gravity already moving over the planted foot.

Watch the minimal vertical move. Watch the runner behind the red
truck fender. He's the leader. The first pack of runners are
actually the pack following the lead runners.

The runner in red following the red truck fender lands with less
vertical displacement than the runner following him. The runner in the
blue shorts/white tank on landing has more give...almost a slight
harder slapping down of the foot than the runner in red in front of
him.

Play the movie backwards with the backward key to observe the constant
lean of the body and the how the leg moves through its cycle.

In health and on the run,
Ozzie Gontang
Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
Mindful Running:
http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp
Old June 10th 04, 07:13 PM
Bill

Check out: http://homepage.mac.com/ozziegontang...eTheater8.html
to see them in slow motion.

Tried to play it with no success. Downloaded Quick Time, still no response.

I may need to try it on a more powerful machine.

Old June 10th 04, 07:38 PM
Tim Downie

Bill wrote:
Check out: http://homepage.mac.com/ozziegontang...eTheater8.html
to see them in slow motion.

Tried to play it with no success. Downloaded Quick Time, still no
response.

I may need to try it on a more powerful machine.

It's not just you. No luck here with IE6 or Opera.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old June 10th 04, 11:26 PM
Ozzie Gontang

In article , Tim Downie
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Check out: http://homepage.mac.com/ozziegontang...eTheater8.html
to see them in slow motion.

Tried to play it with no success. Downloaded Quick Time, still no
response.

I may need to try it on a more powerful machine.

It's not just you. No luck here with IE6 or Opera.

Tim

Tim and Bill,

Looks like being a Macker has its limitation in communicating with the
world of runners.

If either of you or anyone is interested, would someone let me send the
two .mov files and the .mov file that has it in slow motion to see if
you can do anything with it to make it acceptible to the IE6/Opera/PC
world.

The file's about 3 megs. I've watched it a number of times and see
something new everytime especially with it being in slow motion and
also being able to move the frames slowly by pushing the forward arrow
or the backward arrow. I've learned as much watching the backward
arrow.

I am purchasing QT Pro and will see if that can make a difference.
Also will talk to TechSupport at Apple to see what they come up with
regarding the use of iMovie via my webpage.

Thanks.

Old June 10th 04, 11:47 PM
Lyndon

[...]

Sure, Ozzie, you can send it to me. It doesn't work on Netscape 7.1 either.
It appears, though, that an attempt is being made to download the file (.mov?)
but either it never gets started or it never gets finished. If the file format
for the movie had been identified, netscape would be asking for the proper
plugin to display it...but it never gets that far. So it looks like the actual
movie never get sent (from your system). It could be a linkage or naming issue
on your server or webpage, as opposed to an absolute file format
incompatability issue.

Lyndon

"Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach
Brooks Johnson

Old June 11th 04, 12:26 AM
Tim Downie

Ozzie Gontang wrote:

Looks like being a Macker has its limitation in communicating with the
world of runners.

If either of you or anyone is interested, would someone let me send
the two .mov files and the .mov file that has it in slow motion to
see if you can do anything with it to make it acceptible to the
IE6/Opera/PC world.

I'd like a copy Oz. I suspect that for some reason the file isn't actually
downloading when we try to connect. It may be that when you've watched it
your Mac is showing you a cached file off of your own hard drive rather than
what's on the web site.

Once you've removed the "obvious" my address is valid.

Cheers.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old June 11th 04, 12:47 AM
Dan Stumpus

Ozzie:

I got the same kinds of errors, apparently in the automatic downloading of
the file.

If you can send the file to me, I'd appreciate it. This is my real email
address.

Thanks,

Dan

"Ozzie Gontang" wrote in message
.. .

Old June 11th 04, 08:40 AM
_!_ grabber

Ozzie Gontang wrote in message ...
Tim and Bill,

Looks like being a kiddie Porno hacker has its limitation in communicating with the
world of adults.

If either of you or anyone is interested, would someone let me send the
two .virus files has it in slow motion viruses to see if
you can do anything with it to make it acceptible to the IE6/Opera/PC
world.

The file's about 3 megs. I've watched it a number of times and see
something new everytime especially with it being in slow motion and
also being able to move the frames slowly by pushing the forward arrow
or the backward arrow. I've learned as much watching the backward
arrow, as i can watch his ass.

I am purchasing QT Pornopro and will see if that can make a difference.
Also will talk to TechSupport at NAMBLA to see what they come up with
regarding the use of Porno Movies via my webpage.

Thanks.

In health and on the run,
Ozzie Gontang
Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
http://www.fags.org/faqs/running-faq/
Mindful jogging:
http://www.mindlessness.com/mr.asp