Atkins diet and weight training question

Old July 23rd 03, 04:26 PM
FH

Default Atkins diet and weight training question

ok, i'm a newbie and ignorant, so be patient. lol

my wife is on Atkins and i'm trying to lose weight to, but i want to get
more defined muscles.. my question is, is atkins ( high protein ) a good
thing to be on when you're lifting weights? would the combination of atkins
and weight training give me the results i'm looking for? ( fat loss and
muscle gain ).

thanks again
FH

Old July 23rd 03, 04:50 PM
Dokter

"FH" schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]
ok, i'm a newbie and ignorant, so be patient. lol

my wife is on Atkins and i'm trying to lose weight to, but i want to get
more defined muscles.. my question is, is atkins ( high protein ) a good
thing to be on when you're lifting weights? would the combination of

atkins
and weight training give me the results i'm looking for? ( fat loss and
muscle gain ).

thanks again
FH

Extra on the protein wouldn't hurt, but dont go overboard.
Problem with the whole Atkins-method is that carbs are the main fuel for
your body.
Completely (or almost) cutting them out cant be the right way IMO.

Old July 23rd 03, 04:50 PM
Dokter

"FH" schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]

Old July 23rd 03, 06:53 PM
Roger Zoul

FH wrote:
:: " Extra on the protein wouldn't hurt, but dont go overboard.
::: Problem with the whole Atkins-method is that carbs are the main
::: fuel for your body.
::: Completely (or almost) cutting them out cant be the right way IMO.
:::
:::
::
:: yeah, i was thinking the same thing.... i'd have to include more
:: carbs than what they normally allow.
::
:: thank you

Not really. I've been doing LC for a good long time now (two years this
october)....when I first starting WT last september, I would bonk out in the
gym. Now, however, my body has adapted and I find I can workout intensely
(HST 3x per week, 15 exercises per workout, 2 sets average)on as little as
30 to 50 carbs per day. So now I only take extra carbs if I've done a lot
of cardio or at the end of each month, when I take a weekend off from LC and
just eat whatever I want (I generally don't go nuts, however). So far, 112
lbs gone!

Saying that carbs are the main fuel for the body is nonsense, based on my
personal experience.

Old July 23rd 03, 07:49 PM
Kubaton Lover

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
FH wrote:
[...]

I agree somewhat. I actually read the Atkins book from cover to cover (most
skeptics don't) and found that after the initial few weeks, carbs are
allowed. The Atkins plan taught me how to eat better. I eat mostly
protein, and I get my carbs from green leafy veggies and occassionally
fruits. I'm no longer on the Atkins plan, but I learned a ton from being on
it and still incorporate some of the habits.

-Kubaton Lover

Old July 24th 03, 03:06 AM
The Queen of Cans and Jars

Kubaton Lover wrote:

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
FH wrote:
[...]

are you sure you read the book? 'cuz carbs *are* allowed during the
initial few weeks of atkins.

just sayin'.

Old July 24th 03, 07:05 AM
Peter Webb

I agree.

I have been on less than 30g of carbs/day for 7 months, and my cardio
performance in terms of calories/hr burnt is unchanged. My ability to run or
walk uphill is markedly better, because I am 20 kgs lighter.

Atkins is a natural if you are doing weights (plenty of protein), for me has
no effect on cardio, and is extremely effective for weight loss. Go for it.