Too Much Iron in Multi-Vit

Old April 2nd 05, 01:06 PM
The Spungonator

Default Too Much Iron in Multi-Vit

I was all excited about buying Multi-Pro 32X since it's new in Canada, but
quickly decided not to after seeing how much damn iron is in these little
buggers. 18 mg! Most multis only have 4 mg. According to some of the web
sites I visited about excess iron, very little is lost from the body (hair,
blood, dead skin?) and there are some pretty nasty side effects from having
too much iron in your system. Most sites said 10 was the safe limit, 18
seemed ridiculous. Anyone know if/how harmfull 18mg of iron per day would
be? Thanks.

Old April 2nd 05, 01:58 PM
spodosaurus

The Spungonator wrote:
I was all excited about buying Multi-Pro 32X since it's new in Canada, but
quickly decided not to after seeing how much damn iron is in these little
buggers. 18 mg! Most multis only have 4 mg. According to some of the web
sites I visited about excess iron, very little is lost from the body (hair,
blood, dead skin?) and there are some pretty nasty side effects from having
too much iron in your system. Most sites said 10 was the safe limit, 18
seemed ridiculous. Anyone know if/how harmfull 18mg of iron per day would
be? Thanks.

From someone who has iron accumulation from being transfusion
dependant, unless you have problems related to low iron you do not need
extra, especially for males! I have a needle in my side 12 hours a day
in order to clear by chelation 20mg of iron a day. 18mg a day is
massive, and can lead to all sorts of problems (including vascular
disease, as high iron is a better predictor of it than cholesterol
levels). If I were you, I'd avoid that supplement.

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old April 2nd 05, 08:26 PM
joni

The Spungonator wrote:
I was all excited about buying Multi-Pro 32X since it's new
in Canada, but quickly decided not to after seeing how much
damn iron is in these little buggers. 18 mg! Most multis only
have 4 mg. According to some of the web sites I visited about
excess iron, very little is lost from the body (hair, blood,
dead skin?) and there are some pretty nasty side effects
from having too much iron in your system.
Most sites said 10 was the safe limit, 18 seemed ridiculous.
Anyone know if/how harmfull 18mg of iron per day would be? Thanks.

Nutrition reference label for AST MultiPro32x:
http://www.netrition.com/ast_multi_pro_page.html

What are your needs? Dieting? Intense exercise? Marathon?
It may vary ...

From Supplement Watch: http://tinyurl.com/6btje

"Endurance athletes, in particular seem to be at risk of becoming iron
deficient due to an imbalance between absorption of dietary iron and
exercise-induced iron loss. The majority of men, but not women, appear
to achieve the recommended dietary intake of iron (10 to 15 mg/day).
snip Athletes engaged in heavy training almost certainly have an
elevated iron requirement due to inadequate intake and excessive losses
snip The Daily Value for iron is 18mg per day. Women typically
consume about 10mg of iron each day and men get closer to 15-20 mg."

From WholeHealthMD: http://tinyurl.com/3jv3n

"Doses of iron higher than the tolerable upper daily intake level (UL)
of *45 mg* can cause nausea, vomiting, and constipation. Very high
doses can be fatal"

Note that on your vitamin brand label that 18mg is 100% of your RDA,
and you need to take two a day. So you may as well finish off the
bottle you have now and buy a different brand next time if this worrys
you. You certainly wont keel over or develop hemachromatosis just from
a bit more than a months supply.

joni

Old April 2nd 05, 08:26 PM
Proton Soup

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:58:41 +0800, spodosaurus
wrote:

The Spungonator wrote:
I was all excited about buying Multi-Pro 32X since it's new in Canada, but
quickly decided not to after seeing how much damn iron is in these little
buggers. 18 mg! Most multis only have 4 mg. According to some of the web
sites I visited about excess iron, very little is lost from the body (hair,
blood, dead skin?) and there are some pretty nasty side effects from having
too much iron in your system. Most sites said 10 was the safe limit, 18
seemed ridiculous. Anyone know if/how harmfull 18mg of iron per day would
be? Thanks.

From someone who has iron accumulation from being transfusion
dependant, unless you have problems related to low iron you do not need
extra, especially for males! I have a needle in my side 12 hours a day
in order to clear by chelation 20mg of iron a day. 18mg a day is
massive, and can lead to all sorts of problems (including vascular
disease, as high iron is a better predictor of it than cholesterol
levels). If I were you, I'd avoid that supplement.

Cheers,

Ari

I was under the impression that too much iron in the blood, while
detrimental to health, isn't exactly a problem for most people, just a
few. Anyhoo, I don't take a multi, but occasionally take an iron
pill, just because I don't eat as much red meat as many people and
there is some family history of anemia (my father). The one "nasty
side effect" I noticed right away was constipation, an effect whose
cause I'm a bit curious about. That is, I'm wondering if the
constipation itself is a signal that iron was low, so the gut slows
down to help absorb more of it. Another side effect is darkened
stool, which I presume to be unabsorbed iron that gets passed.

My habit now is to just take a time-released iron supplement (SloFe)
maybe once a week, or when I remember.

-----------
Proton Soup

"And all this peace has been deceiving,
I need some wind to get me sailing"

Old April 2nd 05, 08:41 PM
David Cohen

From Supplement Watch: http://tinyurl.com/6btje

From WholeHealthMD: http://tinyurl.com/3jv3n

"Doses of iron higher than the tolerable upper daily intake level (UL)
of *45 mg* can cause nausea, vomiting, and constipation. Very high
doses can be fatal"

Note that on your vitamin brand label that 18mg is 100% of your RDA,
and you need to take two a day. So you may as well finish off the
bottle you have now and buy a different brand next time if this worrys
you. You certainly wont keel over or develop hemachromatosis just from
a bit more than a months supply.

Excellent. Only the second of the month, and you're already wrong. Gman can
just take a vacation.

Supplemental iron should NEVER be consumed by men or post-menopausal women,
unless they have a documented iron deficiency. Iron is directly linked to
increased heart disease. This is one of the reasons pre-menopausal women
have a lower incidence of cardiac disease than men: you bleed, monthly,
reducing your iron stores.

I look forward to the rest of your April wrongitudes.

david

Old April 2nd 05, 08:41 PM
Kromagnon

The Spungonator wrote:
I was all excited about buying Multi-Pro 32X since it's new in
Canada, but quickly decided not to after seeing how much damn

iron
is in these little buggers. 18 mg! Most multis only have 4 mg.
According to some of the web sites I visited about excess

iron,
very little is lost from the body (hair, blood, dead skin?)

and
there are some pretty nasty side effects from having too much

iron
in your system. Most sites said 10 was the safe limit, 18

seemed
ridiculous. Anyone know if/how harmfull 18mg of iron per day

would
be? Thanks.

No healthy male over 21 needs supplemental iron. I get between
15 and 22mg everyday from diet. Centrum Silver, even though it
says it's for 50 years of age or over, has no iron.

Old April 2nd 05, 09:02 PM
spodosaurus

wrote:

The Spungonator wrote:

I was all excited about buying Multi-Pro 32X since it's new in Canada, but
quickly decided not to after seeing how much damn iron is in these little
buggers. 18 mg! Most multis only have 4 mg. According to some of the web
sites I visited about excess iron, very little is lost from the body (hair,
blood, dead skin?) and there are some pretty nasty side effects from having
too much iron in your system. Most sites said 10 was the safe limit, 18
seemed ridiculous. Anyone know if/how harmfull 18mg of iron per day would
be? Thanks.

From someone who has iron accumulation from being transfusion
dependant, unless you have problems related to low iron you do not need
extra, especially for males! I have a needle in my side 12 hours a day
in order to clear by chelation 20mg of iron a day. 18mg a day is
massive, and can lead to all sorts of problems (including vascular
disease, as high iron is a better predictor of it than cholesterol
levels). If I were you, I'd avoid that supplement.

Cheers,

Ari

I was under the impression that too much iron in the blood, while
detrimental to health, isn't exactly a problem for most people, just a
few.

There are a few that hyper accumulate iron. they usually have a genetic
disorder called haemochromatosis.

Anyhoo, I don't take a multi, but occasionally take an iron
pill, just because I don't eat as much red meat as many people and
there is some family history of anemia (my father).

Do you have a blood test with your yearly checkup? Low iron is better
for longevity than high iron! If your ferritin and haemoglobin levels
are okay, you may not even need the iron (you'd be suprised how much
food is 'iron fortified' or 'iron enriched' in the western world. There
are very few breakfast cereals that I can eat because of this!

The one "nasty
side effect" I noticed right away was constipation, an effect whose
cause I'm a bit curious about. That is, I'm wondering if the
constipation itself is a signal that iron was low, so the gut slows
down to help absorb more of it.

Lots of people get constipated with iron pills. It's not a sign of low
iron :-)

Old April 2nd 05, 10:32 PM
joni

David Cohen wrote:
Excellent. Only the second of the month, and you're already wrong.
Supplemental iron should NEVER be consumed by men or post-menopausal
women, unless they have a documented iron deficiency.

I am soooo wrong with my previous post & the whole vitamin industry is
also soooo wrong (just because arrogant David said so)when mutivitamins
with added iron are marketed in mens formulas. Do a random search
online from Centrum to other vitamin makers to see how many are wrong
according to David. Yes, the *average* man can easily reach their
daily iron needs thru their higher caloric intake than women, but the
OP was on a calorie restricted diet, and exercising intensely which
warrants the addition of the *RDA of 18%* iron in his daily vitamin.

joni

Old April 2nd 05, 11:09 PM
joni

David Cohen wrote:
This is one of the reasons pre-menopausal women have a lower
incidence of cardiac disease than men: you bleed, monthly,
reducing your iron stores.

As usual you're shooting your mouth off again David .. monthly flow has
absolutley nothing to do with preventing a heart attack (but everything
to do with why alot of women chronic anemia related to bloodloss).

"A woman is more vulnerable to sudden, serious heart disease during the
time of the menstrual cycle when her estrogen levels are at their
lowest, according to a study presented November 14, 2000, at the
American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2000. Researchers also
found that other health risks only worsen the odds for heart disease in
premenopausal women." http://tinyurl.com/3ohgj

"Although coronary artery disease is the *leading killer of
premenopausal women* taking even more lives than breast cancer does,
most studies have focused on heart disease in older women. Our findings
demonstrate for the first time that young women with low blood estrogen
levels have a significantly greater prevalence of coronary artery
disease."
http://www.scienceblog.com/community/article938.html

joni

Old April 3rd 05, 12:16 AM
David Cohen

"joni" wrote
David Cohen wrote:
Excellent. Only the second of the month, and you're already wrong.
Supplemental iron should NEVER be consumed by men or post-menopausal
women, unless they have a documented iron deficiency.

I am soooo wrong with my previous post & the whole vitamin industry is
also soooo wrong (just because arrogant David said so)when mutivitamins
with added iron are marketed in mens formulas. Do a random search
online from Centrum to other vitamin makers to see how many are wrong
according to David. Yes, the *average* man can easily reach their
daily iron needs thru their higher caloric intake than women, but the
OP was on a calorie restricted diet, and exercising intensely which
warrants the addition of the *RDA of 18%* iron in his daily vitamin.

No. It doesn't.

You don't get extra credit for repeating or expanding on an individual
wrongness. You only get points for each different one.

I'm not worried. I have faith in your ability to amass an ENORMOUS number.

david

Iron Kid Gift Ideas John Triathalon 0 November 29th 04 04:13 PM
Weight Plates - Cast Iron? UK2 Weights 3 September 22nd 04 03:05 PM
Low Iron d w a c o n Weights 4 March 20th 04 05:48 PM
AD:Functional Strength Training Clinic For Multi Sport Athletes Coach Lee Triathalon 0 January 5th 04 12:26 PM
Weider multi gym review. Bubba Jo Bubba Weights 2 November 3rd 03 04:35 AM