Orienteering in Prospect Park NYC

Old September 30th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.running
Tony S.

Default Orienteering in Prospect Park NYC

Though I won't be going to this meet, I thought I'd let the group know about
it, since it's a rare event in New York City itself. For those who don't
know what orienteering is, you can read about it at:

http://www.us.orienteering.org/

It's great fun for the family also, because they have easier short courses
for kids. For kids it's like a treasure hunt (though there are no treasures
only flags), and for adults it's a very challenging physical event that's
mentally stimulating. For beginners it won't be too taxing because learning
navigation will slow you down, and a park setting lacks the normal course
difficulty. Normal courses are mostly in the woods or in natural areas where
a minimum of trails are utilized, and this makes it much more
"cross-country" than what is known as cross-country running. In the
northeast US, for example, think of the nastiest hiking trail you've ever
been on, then picture a race through those kinds of woods that doesn't use a
trail -- that's elite level orienteering, though the terrain is not always
that difficult, and some trails can sometimes be utilized for part of a leg
between checkpoints. It began as a military exercise in Europe, is
considered a national sport in some Scandinavian countries, and is still
taught as a basic military skill at West Point, whose orienteering club
hosts a national-class orienteering meet every year.

At this event, in a park setting, I highly recommend this event for people
who want to see what orienteering is like, and for those who want to try
something different with their families.

-Tony

Entry Deadline: Friday, October 6, 2006

This year's edition XI features the usual 26.3k metric marathon distance,
several orienteering stages and a trail run. We aim at making the course
somewhat
faster by giving trail options, yet will also include fine technical
sections
plus the notorious King/Queen of the Mountain section.

Check the HVO web site at http://hvo.us.orienteering.org/News.html for
more information and updates.

Daniel Schaublin
HVO President

Hudson Valley Orienteering (HVO)

HVO Home Page: http://hvo.us.orienteering.org

Old September 30th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.running
Lowtuc Zowtuc

I don't live in the city...

butt I ride my bike on the country roads year round.no job, no
pay...just because the whole area is a bunch of d trump want to be and
can always come up with more reasons why something is..........

I can't take it any more........

the little evil kicking A P. ass in space.......

don't they ever stop..........NO..........

any who.............

the fox hunt....no dogs....leash law and fines for dogs not on a chain.
1 of too many.............. horses......well 2 many..........so the
chase is on....

who well win the stare down......I give up.I am not going to out stare
this little skinner foxes......I wave a couple time and move
on.........Don't seem fair.what I have.and what the fox have....hunting
time here......

can of potatoes, can of mixes veggie.and a big 4 strip of pork cut out
half fat for chickens, ducks, cat..and maybe save for who ever so don't
get animal sized......taxes............so mix wee bit.....well
cooked..salt butter.......sleep long time.......need something bad....a
can of citruses fruit.del montage........and watch leno,,,,,,,,,,,,and
rain on tin roof..........all land around....animal sounds.......gun
shots........smell of blood.......close window...........latter cop
sounds...... later more gun sounds.........(red foxes)..........

more like .........well law says can at night................coffee
time, rain day today.....roof re done soon..not me.......and all in
all............well most all junk took to road and gone fast.all
free.what a way to get rid of junk so not to store when winter ids
here.trash all ways is good pickings...........
and there is very little 10 cans now a days..........

so still got jury duty money.....was voted 49th worst econonmy state in
u.s.a.......

is the fox gone?

I would say butt the rich care about 1 thing.......1 for you, 1 for
you, 1 for you and 7,000 for me.......
1 for you, 1 for you and 1 for you nd 27,000 for me......

and they never everstop crying that thry had to give the 1
away.........c.e.o..u.s.a..and the rich.....amereca.......Rock on.
evan if I ran a yard.it was more then you did.......

red sky is a opinion to what is blue.
"NERDS"

Old September 30th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.running
Dot

Tony S. wrote:
[...]

It's also used by scouts, Jr ROTC and probably regular ROTC, elementary
school classes, etc. for learning and practicing basic map and compass
skills. We have them up here every Wed night from early May to about
Labor Day. I really enjoyed the one I did several years ago and would
like to do more in the future - just haven't wanted to exercise my brain
that much while running in recent years (that *really* is the reason -
plus not wanting to disrupt my regular running schedule). The beginners'
route can be done mostly on trails, then the more advanced one get
farther and farther from trails.

BTW, our local course setter (retired about 2 yr ago from local hs
coaching xc skiing) used to either be on the West Point orienteering
team or coach or teach the skills (can't find the newspaper clipping at
the moment to check the details, but I'm pretty sure it was something
besides just "on" the team).

At this event, in a park setting, I highly recommend this event for people
who want to see what orienteering is like, and for those who want to try
something different with their families.

Ditto. One of the neat things about it is the variety of courses and
start times (go when you get there - at least up here), so you may be
passing (either direction) more experienced people on trail segments and
get to see their running form. It's a really great fun learning
experience. Fees (up here anyway) are cheap ($5, iirc) so it's a great
family activity.

Dot

--
"Dream big and dare to fail." --- Norman Vaughan

Old October 1st 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.running
Tony S.

"Dot" wrote in message
Tony S. wrote:
[...]

The prospect park meet only goes up to the green course level (because of
the park's size I'm sure), which is advanced skill level, but short course,
normally for higher age group skilled orienteers'. I'm hoping to feel
strong enough after the 50 miler to run at least one O-meet this Fall before
my next race, a fun-run trail marathon with a couple of friends. I think I
haven't done it more for 2 reason. First, I used to have more time to
practice and go to meets regularly, which helps hone the navigation skills,
and when I don't have time to practice, I make a lot of navigation mistakes
(get lost more!). Second, at least here in the northeastern USA,
orienteering on higher level courses is very rugged, like the escarpment
trail on steroids, so you have to be not only fit, but in very sturdy
condition.

BTW, our local course setter (retired about 2 yr ago from local hs
coaching xc skiing) used to either be on the West Point orienteering
team or coach or teach the skills (can't find the newspaper clipping at
the moment to check the details, but I'm pretty sure it was something
besides just "on" the team).

The West Point O-team always had some very good orienteerers when I did it
regularly back in the early 80's. I remember some of the ones who wanted
more practice used to come to the local hudson valley orienteering meets.
Some of them got serious and came to national meets around the northeast
also. But the thing I remember most about the cadets is how busy they are; I
remember talking to them about life at the point some back then. I used to
beat most of them except for a few serious ones who were good runners also,
but I figure they were so busy that all of them on the club were pretty damn
good orienteers' because they had very little time to practice in comparison
with enthusiastic civilians.

At this event, in a park setting, I highly recommend this event for

people
who want to see what orienteering is like, and for those who want to try
something different with their families.

Ditto. One of the neat things about it is the variety of courses and
start times (go when you get there - at least up here), so you may be
passing (either direction) more experienced people on trail segments and
get to see their running form. It's a really great fun learning
experience. Fees (up here anyway) are cheap ($5, iirc) so it's a great
family activity.

Dot

Yup, I don't know the current meet fees, but the last one I went to a couple
of years ago was like $5 for club members and $8 for others.

-Tony

--
"Dream big and dare to fail." --- Norman Vaughan