Iron supplementation

Old December 23rd 03, 07:49 PM
Partho Bhowmick

Default Iron supplementation

How many out there are worried about the affects of iron supplements on the
liver and what do you do about it?

Old December 23rd 03, 08:08 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Partho Bhowmick wrote:

How many out there are worried about the affects of iron
supplements on the liver and what do you do about it?

Liver? I don't know about the liver, but I don't use an iron
supplement and try to give blood a couple of times each year.

--
-Wayne
Old December 23rd 03, 11:06 PM
MillerIce3

How many out there are worried about the affects of iron supplements on the
liver and what do you do about it?

I dont take any iron supplement.

And I take an iron free multiple vitamin. I wouldnt take anything with iron
unless maybe I was anemic (sp). I have read that iron can increase the
production of free radicals in the body.(found this on google) What amount it
would take I have no idea. But I just figure I'm getting enough iron in my
normal diet.
dale

Old December 24th 03, 02:34 AM

"Partho Bhowmick" wrote in message
. ..
How many out there are worried about the affects of iron supplements on

the
liver and what do you do about it?

you are right to be concerned about liver damage if you have iron overload.
Do you know your iron level? Have you had blood tests? Why are you taking
iron supplements?

Old December 24th 03, 04:27 AM
Proton Soup

"Wayne S. Hill" wrote in message ...
Partho Bhowmick wrote:

How many out there are worried about the affects of iron
supplements on the liver and what do you do about it?

Liver? I don't know about the liver, but I don't use an iron
supplement and try to give blood a couple of times each year.

There is a medical condition where some people do need to be bled
regularly, but I forget what it's called. A nurse I know works at a
clinic that does just that.

Hmmmm, come to think of it, I haven't given blood since college.

Proton Soup
Old December 24th 03, 04:34 AM
Sarah Jane

In Proton Soup wrote:
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote in message news:
Partho Bhowmick wrote:

How many out there are worried about the affects of iron
supplements on the liver and what do you do about it?

Liver? I don't know about the liver, but I don't use an iron
supplement and try to give blood a couple of times each year.

There is a medical condition where some people do need to be bled
regularly, but I forget what it's called.

Hemochromatosis. I don't know why I know that.
Old December 24th 03, 06:41 AM
Randy Shrader

Partho Bhowmick wrote:

How many out there are worried about the affects of iron
supplements on the liver and what do you do about it?

Liver? I don't know about the liver, but I don't use an iron
supplement and try to give blood a couple of times each year.

There is a medical condition where some people do need to be bled
regularly, but I forget what it's called.

Hemochromatosis. I don't know why I know that.

Extra credit question: what fictional blood disease appeared in the Star
Trek novel Covenant of the Crown? (no looking it up)

Randy
I'm not a trekkie, the word was just cool enough to stick

Old December 24th 03, 08:31 AM
Meaty

There is a medical condition where some people do need to be bled
regularly, but I forget what it's called.

Hemochromatosis. I don't know why I know that.

Its polycythaemia rubra vera. Is that the same as haemachromatosis?

Meaty

Old December 24th 03, 09:00 AM
David Cohen

"Meaty" wrote
There is a medical condition where some people do need to be

bled
regularly, but I forget what it's called.

Hemochromatosis. I don't know why I know that.

Its polycythaemia rubra vera. Is that the same as haemachromatosis?

No. Too many red blood cells vs too much heme iron. Very different,
but regular phlebotomies is a treatment for both.

Old December 24th 03, 11:04 AM

om...

Partho Bhowmick wrote:

How many out there are worried about the affects of iron
supplements on the liver and what do you do about it?

Liver? I don't know about the liver, but I don't use an iron
supplement and try to give blood a couple of times each year.

There is a medical condition where some people do need to be bled
regularly, but I forget what it's called. A nurse I know works at a
clinic that does just that.

Hmmmm, come to think of it, I haven't given blood since college.

Proton Soup

haemochromatosis

Does it get any better than this? (Pumping Iron on Cinemax) Slambram Weights 2 December 20th 03 03:26 AM
creatine? George Weights 43 November 18th 03 01:47 AM
PUMPING IRON -DVD- To be Released Nov 11 MAS017 Weights 5 August 19th 03 08:52 PM
A few questions about the movie Pumping Iron Marco Rigatti Weights 0 July 14th 03 11:51 PM