Walking shoes

Old July 7th 04, 12:21 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Walking shoes

Had a nasty slide/fall whilst out walking on Exmoor last year and damaged
the Achilles tendon in my left heel. This has left me with a swollen tendon
which I am informed is normal due to scar tissue and will eventually reduce
over time. However, I am finding that when I use my walking boots in earnest
the tendon starts to hurt after only a couple of miles and then does so for
some days afterwards.
Noticed this does not happen when walking about in normal shoes and assume
it's to do with the lack of a high back on the shoes rubbing the tendon as
it does in the boots.
So, to finally get to the point, any recommendations for walking shoes,
something with a lower back than boots.
--
Regards
Bob

Old July 7th 04, 01:37 PM
Peter Clinch

Bob Hobden wrote:

So, to finally get to the point, any recommendations for walking shoes,
something with a lower back than boots.

"Approach shoes" are the current marketing-speak for walking shoes: most
outdoor stores should have a selection. As with boots its pointless
recommending specific models because the important thing is fit to
/your/ foot, which will vary between manufacturers as they all use
different lasts.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old July 7th 04, 11:23 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pete Clinch" wrote in reply to me...

So, to finally get to the point, any recommendations for walking shoes,
something with a lower back than boots.

"Approach shoes" are the current marketing-speak for walking shoes: most
outdoor stores should have a selection. As with boots its pointless
recommending specific models because the important thing is fit to
/your/ foot, which will vary between manufacturers as they all use
different lasts.

Just like the boots. It's just, are there any manufacturers to steer clear
of quality wise or are they generally made by the same people as the quality
boots with Vibram soles?

Also, why "Approach shoes", sounds like something quiet a sneaky little perv
might wear in the park etc. :-)

Old July 8th 04, 09:43 AM
Peter Clinch

Bob Hobden wrote:

Just like the boots. It's just, are there any manufacturers to steer clear
of quality wise or are they generally made by the same people as the quality
boots with Vibram soles?

Same people making both AFAICT.

Also, why "Approach shoes", sounds like something quiet a sneaky little perv
might wear in the park etc. :-)

You use them to approach the Big Mountain before changing into things
that take crampons etc. was, I believe, the original derivation. But
since the UK lacks 5000m+ peaks with a permanent snowline, you might as
well leave them on the whole way.
I imagine marketing departments thought they needed a new name for an
old but unfashionable idea, to promote it as part of the New Lightweight
Revolution (which is also very old, of course!)

Pete.

Old July 8th 04, 10:52 AM
Allan Gould

Bob Hobden wrote:

[snip]

So, to finally get to the point, any recommendations for walking shoes,
something with a lower back than boots.

FWIW, Aug 2004 tgo (which dropped on my doormat yesterday) contains a
review of "trail shoes" by Chris Townsend. Might be worth a look?
HTH. Allan.

Old July 8th 04, 05:52 PM
Bob Hobden

"Allan Gould" wrote in message Bob Hobden wrote:

[snip]

So, to finally get to the point, any recommendations for walking shoes,
something with a lower back than boots.

FWIW, Aug 2004 tgo (which dropped on my doormat yesterday) contains a
review of "trail shoes" by Chris Townsend. Might be worth a look?
HTH. Allan.

Thanks to you all, I am now the owner of a pair of Salomon Expert Low's.

Old July 9th 04, 07:53 PM
Simon Caldwell

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:52:00 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Thanks to you all, I am now the owner of a pair of Salomon Expert Low's.

I only just saw the thread and was about to reply recommending exactly
those! Excellent shoes, recently did a week of scrambling and walking
in Torridon with them. I no longer wear boots outside the winter.

Old July 10th 04, 10:00 AM
AndyP

"Simon Caldwell" wrote

I only just saw the thread and was about to reply recommending exactly
those! Excellent shoes, recently did a week of scrambling and walking
in Torridon with them. I no longer wear boots outside the winter.

Make sure the MRT don't catch you.

Old July 10th 04, 12:42 PM
Dominic Sexton

In article , AndyP
writes
"Simon Caldwell" wrote

********!

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/
Old July 11th 04, 12:51 AM
Nick Pedley

"Dominic Sexton" wrote in message
In article , AndyP
writes
"Simon Caldwell" wrote

I only just saw the thread and was about to reply recommending exactly
those! Excellent shoes, recently did a week of scrambling and walking
in Torridon with them. I no longer wear boots outside the winter.

Make sure the MRT don't catch you.

********!

That's exactly what they grab you by when they catch you.... ;-)

Nick

Walking shoes for guy 6'3", 225 lbs Top Spin Walking 6 July 21st 04 05:24 AM
Mephisto walking shoes Top Spin Walking 6 June 25th 04 06:15 AM
Best Shoes for walking mavis Walking 9 December 21st 03 11:53 AM
How long should good shoes last? Ruby Villavicencio Walking 2 October 29th 03 01:29 AM
Recommendation for mens walking shoes..... [email protected] Walking 6 August 25th 03 09:20 PM