Mini Marathon

Old June 3rd 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.running
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Default Mini Marathon

myahennessy writes:

Hey everyone, I'm doing my first mini marathon on Monday June 7th, I
feel I'm in good shape, have been running consistently for years, but
any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

What distance is a "mini marathon"?
Old June 5th 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.running
Steve Freides[_2_]

Paul Rudin wrote:
myahennessy writes:

Hey everyone, I'm doing my first mini marathon on Monday June 7th, I
feel I'm in good shape, have been running consistently for years, but
any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

What distance is a "mini marathon"?

They've used the term in NYC for years - there were some in Central Park
in the 80's and/or 90's, all were 10 km.

Advice: relax, run, finish, enjoy.

-S-

Old June 5th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.running
Steve Freides[_2_]

John Hurley wrote:
Steve:

# Advice: relax, run, finish, enjoy.

Certainly valid points if the goal is to have fun and finish.

The OP said this was going to be her first attempt at this distance.
Having fun and finishing are good goals for a first attempt at a new
distance and I don't think most people would benefit from trying to do
more than that.

My races this year have really suffered from a lack of focus and a
lack of aggression. I think I have become way too comfortable with
accepting the times I am turning in right now and have not pushed
myself. I race much better if I am angry and ****ed off.

Maybe you're racing too often, or not organizing your races in your mind
into training races and real PR attempts. I always liked training plans
for longer distances that included shorter races as part of the
buildup - was nice, psychologically, to go to a race relaxed and with
only modest expectations, often led to surprisingly good results for me.
I don't think one should attempt a new best more than a few times a
year, especially as we get older.

-S-

Old June 6th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.running
Steve Freides[_2_]

John Hurley wrote:
Steve:

# Maybe you're racing too often, or not organizing your races in your
mind into training races and real PR attempts.

Many of us are decades past PR attempts ... that's just the way it is.

I am in that group, I'm pretty sure, at age 55, although I did set my
lifetime 5k PR at age 45. (I give credit to Jack Daniel's "Running
Formula" for that - what he calls a tempo run was what my training had
been missing, and the precise pacing advice he gave for other distances
and speed work sessions was also invaluable. For me, a tempo run just
meant doing my local 5k course at about :25 per mile slower than race
pace, so it was easy to incorporate into my training once I knew what to
do.)

The number of races this year is way down so far ... no I think it
just seems to be general lack of bad attitude.

After being mostly out of the local racing scene for well over a
decade I am now getting recognized consistently and yakking too much
in the last couple of minutes before the race. There is a time and
place for all that stuff but I need to be a bunch more focused.

I don't believe in training races at least for me. Why bother paying
money for training ... there are trails and roads always available for
those purposes.

I recall one year training for a half-marathon and hitting a 5k PR at a
race along the way - nuthin' at all wrong with that, says me, and well
worth having it be official, not to mention it being nice to have water
stations instead of carrying your own, someone else doing the time
keeping, not having to worry about traffic lights and traffic, and the
like.

-S-

Old June 6th 10, 11:02 AM posted to rec.running
Paul Rudin[_2_]

"Steve Freides" writes:

John Hurley wrote:
Steve:

# Maybe you're racing too often, or not organizing your races in your
mind into training races and real PR attempts.

Many of us are decades past PR attempts ... that's just the way it is.

I am in that group, I'm pretty sure, at age 55, although I did set my
lifetime 5k PR at age 45.

I'm 44 and I have hopes of improving my marathon PR - mostly as I didn't
really run marathons when I was younger. My current best was set this
year (3:30:23).

I don't actually know exactly what my PRs are for most distances... but
I think I ran 10k in 37:xx and HM in ~1:25 many years ago, and I doubt
I'll ever get back to those kind of times.
Old June 8th 10, 11:35 AM posted to rec.running
Paul Rudin[_2_]

anders writes:

On Jun 6, 1:02*pm, Paul Rudin wrote:

I don't actually know exactly what my PRs are for most distances... but
I think I ran 10k in 37:xx and HM in ~1:25 many years ago, and I doubt
I'll ever get back to those kind of times.

Get a grip on yourself, young man, and stop wallowing in self-pity:-)

Those are quite decent times - my PBs are only marginally better - but
I really cannot see how they should be out of your reach now that
you're a gasp, horror 44-year-old man. FWIW I'm old enough to
remember T. Rex, Slade, Sweet and Gary Glitter, but I don't think I
will be satisfied with my running year if my SBs are a minute off
those times.

Are you carrying excess baggage and thinking that it is too difficult
to lose weight in your middle age? Did you have more available time
when you ran your PBs and do you think that it is impossible to equal
those results now that you cannot match the mileage? Did you do more
quality workouts when you were younger and do you find that you no
longer recover fast enough to maintain that sort of frequency? Or
have you just become too soft for the "fast" stuff?

Well - I am heavier than I should be that's for sure. But my weight is
slowly coming down, I'm now ~81 kg. In my late 20s I was probably
~74kg. The main thing really is that when I train it's basically
designed for marathons. I suspect that my HM time will come down a bit
from where it is at the moment - fastest in the last couple of years is
1:38 I think.